January 27, 2010

Making Up!

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

I know, I know, I'm supposed to be posting my nightly meals but I have good reason for missing a night: hunger. Pure, simple, raw hunger. Sometimes we're scarf down the meal so fast I completely forget to take a picture and then I try to make up for it by writing paragraphs about seemingly boring yet highly valuable information. But just to recap, last night we had a slow-cooked spicy rice, chappali kabobs and steamed vegetables dressed in a homemade vinaigrette. Tonight we finished the leftovers, alhamdulillah.

So in the spirit of making ammends I offer you not one, but two recipes - one savory and one sweet. Insha'allah we can call it even now!




Chicken Kabab

This is based on my aunts recipe who makes the meanest chicken kabobs (love you, R. Aunty!). Of course, hers are much better but I'd like to think my version isn't too shabby)

2 lbs boneless, skinless ground chicken breast (I run cubed breast through my food processor, be careful not to over process of you'll end up with chicken paste - ew)
1/2 - 1 cup finely chopped cilantro (based on your liking)
2 tsp garlic/giner paste
2 tsp olive oil
squirt of lemon juice
salt to taste
(add 1 tsp chopped green chillis if you like some heat)

1. Blend all ingredients together in small bowl. Allow to marinate together for 1 hour.

2. Lightly oil hands and shape chicken mixture into 3" logs; arrange on a lined and oiled baking sheet.

3. Place under broiler for about 7 minutes on each side. Keep a watchful eye on these, chicken breast can dry out very quickly.

* I throw in some vegetables under the broiler alongside the chicken to round out the meal.




Chocolate Chip/Cinnamon Sour Cream Cake
(I half the recipe and bake in a loaf pan, the reculting butter crust is delicious and perfect with a hot cup of tea!)

1 stick unsalted butter (4 ounces or 8 tablespoons) at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs, separated
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
16 ounces sour cream
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
12 ounces chocolate chips
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a large bowl, cream butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar, then mix in the egg yolks and vanilla. Sift flour, baking soda and baking powder together into a separate bowl. Alternately add sour cream and then dry ingredients into butter mixture. Beat eggs whites until stiff, then fold into batter. Mix last 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon together in a separate, small dish.
In a greased 9″x13″ pan, pour in half of the cake batter. Sprinkle the top with half of the cinnamon-sugar mixture and half of the chocolate chips. Pour remaining batter on top, sprinkling the top with the remaining cinnamon-sugar and chocolate chips.
Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.

4 comments:

  1. I made chicken kababs for dinner, alhamdulillah it turned out great!!

    JazakAllah khayr :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummyyyyy! I want some cake toooo!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. made these last weekend in a bundt pan, like you did! amazingly good! jazakAllah for a gret recipe.. p.s also mae these in muffin pans n topped with cream cheese frosting. its like cinnabon muffins! Umm Muhammad

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think! As always, feedback and reviews are appreciated...happy cooking!