February 22, 2010

Eh...Not So Much...

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem




Everyone should have a quick, simply, go-to cookie for last minute guests. The perfect cookie that just calls out to be eaten along side a hot cup of tea on a snowy, winter night. Shortbread, sugar cookies, even a chunky oatmeal will do, it's really up to you. My one word of advice is if you're gonna drag out all the ingredients to make a batch, why not make a double batch and store half in the freezer? That way, when those unexpected guests do show-up on that snowy night, you can just lop off a chunk and bake it off. This here recipe was ok. Just ok. I liked the cookie, I loved the filling, but combined together? No, thank you. This clearly isn't my perfect-with-chai-must-have-on-hand cookie, but it may be yours? They did taste good, I'll admit, even if they're aren't the prettiest little things!


Sparkling Vanilla Sandwich Cookie

makes 6 dozen (I halved this and still had plenty of filling left over)
  • 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 3/4 cups sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2/3 cup evaporated milk
  • 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped (optional)
  • 5 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pressing cookies
  • Coarse sanding sugar, for rolling (I skipped this step, too froo-froo for me!)
  • Chocolate Fudge Filling
Directions

  1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs and salt; mix to combine. Add evaporated milk, vanilla extract, and vanilla bean seeds, if using; mix to combine.
  2. Reduce speed to low; slowly add flour. Mix until just combined; do not overmix. Divide dough into 4 equal pieces and shape each piece into a disk. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Transfer to refrigerator and chill until firm, at least 1 hour.
  3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with nonstick baking mats or parchment paper.
  4. Working with one disk at a time, form dough into 1-teaspoon-sized balls. Roll each ball in sanding sugar and place on prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Lightly dip the bottom of a drinking glass in flour and gently press down on ball to flatten slightly. Transfer baking sheets to oven and bake until puffy, but still soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool slightly on baking sheets before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
  5. Using a small offset spatula, carefully spread about 1 teaspoon filling on the flat side of one cookie; top with another cookie to make a sandwich. Repeat process with remaining filling and cookies. Cookies can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 to 3 days.

4 comments:

  1. Cooookiessss! Gotta show my sisterr! =D So, how do you store it in the freezer? Would keeping the cookie dough in a container be finee? (ive never froze it before) Btw, how are you doing now?? =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Based on your comments, I have a feeling your sister likes sweet things! :) Like I said, these were good...just not my fav. I loved the filling and plan on using it inside a different cookie base insha'allah. I like to freeze my cookie dough in a log (like the kind you can buy at the store!) and wrap it in double layer plastic wrap. Then I can just slice off as many cookies I want! Also, I'm feeling much better...alhamdulillah! JazakAllah khair for your thoughts and duas :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol. She doesss!!! Your pretty popular at my housee! =) I'll be telling and showing my mom things, and my sisterrr, and omg meee... I love your blog! Lol. =D So by the looks of it, you really like cooking and baking huh? =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look yum. Totally yum.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think! As always, feedback and reviews are appreciated...happy cooking!