October 3, 2009

Chocolate Cupcakes (aka, Just For You, Umm Dawood)


Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem




A belated EID MUBARAK to all my readers!! May Allah accept from us our deeds, ameen!

I love celebrating Eid with a batch of homemade chocolate cupcakes. I also enjoy celebrating the new arrival of a baby with a batch cupcakes as well. Or whipping up a batch as a hostess gift, or making some on any random night of the week. Or afternoon. Mornings also. Really, I make these for no good reason at all, and can you blame me? They're light and moist and getting better with each passing day (no more than 4 days, though!). In fact, I intentionally make them the night before for any occasion just to eat them when they taste the best. Below are some pics of the cupcakes in their many different appearances in our home. Hope they'll become as frequent in yours!




Chocolate Cupcakes
(makes about 30 cupcakes)

2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 1/ 2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup softened butter (1 1/2 sticks)
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup milk

1. Whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt together in large bowl. Set aside.

2. Using an electric mixers, cream butter and sugars together until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes).

3. Add eggs and vanilla and continue mixing.

4. Using a spoon, alternately add flour mixture and milk until just blended.

5. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.

6. Allow to cool completely before frosting.


White Cream Frosting
I never measure this, but just use as much as I think I need. Start out with 1/2 cup vegetable shortening and 1 cup powdered sugar. Beat together, use a couple drops of milk to make it smooth. Add more of each ingredient until you have enough to frost all your cupcakes. Keep tasting along the way to make sure it doesn't get too sweet. Refrigerate left over frosting for up to 5 days.





8 comments:

  1. Salam,

    jazakAllah khayr umm k :) me love ya lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Btw, you just add coloring to make it diff colors?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me know if y'all like it, Muslimah 93. It's a pretty simple recipe, I use it for cake too. And yes, I use gel food colors to tint the frosting. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I swear this is the last recipe I will ever need for chocolate cupcakes!! I make this a lot at home...infact I just made them like 5mins ago hehe.

    I think DH and D love these babies more than me! ;)

    I ran out of cocoa..only had like half a cup...but alhamdulillah they came out perfect. I love you so much for having this awesome blog.

    May Allah swt make you and your family enter jannah without hisab Ameen :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. UmmD, this is THE best recipe, seriously. Ive tried others and this is the only one that comes out good each time, alhamdulillah! I'm so glad my little Baby D likes them! Do you make the frosting too?

    Ameen to your du'as!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Assalamu Alaikum...

    I made this cake today...Alhamdulillah it came out well...everyones likes it...

    Agree with u ..Best chocolate cake recipe

    jazakallah khair

    May Allah Bless u Your Loved ones

    ReplyDelete
  8. Walaikum Salaam Nazeema, I'm so happy to hear you also loved this recipe! Ameen to your kind duas, and please keep the feedback coming! :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think! As always, feedback and reviews are appreciated...happy cooking!